High-Quality Orthodontic Treatment in Vienna, VA
At Denise Nguyen Orthodontics, we believe everyone deserves a healthy, beautiful smile that they truly feel proud to show off. Dr. Nguyen and our team of highly-trained orthodontic specialists work with patients individually, personalizing treatment plans to fit each patient's unique needs and lifestyle. We understand that every patient is different and we strive to make treatment as convenient as possible, which is why we're proud to offer a variety of orthodontic treatments at our Vienna, VA orthodontic practice – one such treatment we often recommend is ceramic braces.
What Are Ceramic Braces?
Ceramic braces, also called clear braces, are an alternative treatment to braces that blend in naturally with the teeth. This is because while ceramic braces use the same basic architecture as traditional metal braces, the brackets are made from a clear ceramic composite material, allowing them to blend in with the teeth and create a more discreet overall appearance. This makes ceramic braces an excellent option for adult orthodontic treatment or any patient looking for a more covert way to straighten their smile. That said, ceramic braces aren't for everyone: we generally won't recommend ceramic braces for severe orthodontic cases.
History of Clear Braces
Clear braces have been around since the 1980s, which is when the idea for a less visible form of orthodontic treatment first surfaced. Back then, the brackets were actually made from plastic – but this presented a problem. Plastic is a porous material, which made it prone to staining, virtually eliminating the benefits of clear braces in the first place. Since then, advances in orthodontic technology have allowed for a switch to a non-porous, stain-resistant ceramic composite material.
Pros & Cons of Ceramic Braces
Ceramic braces come with a number of advantages and benefits. These are just some of the things you'll enjoy if you opt for treatment with ceramic braces:
- Comfort: Some patients report that ceramic braces don't irritate the gums the same way metal braces do, making them a more comfortable form of treatment.
- Customization: We can fit you with either semi-translucent brackets, which work well for very white teeth, or tooth-colored ceramic, which matches slightly darker teeth. Both options blend in well and present an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
- Strength: High-quality ceramic braces are strong, and they generally won't chip or break unless they take some serious abuse.
At the same time, ceramic braces do come with a few drawbacks:
- Cost: Because of the special material they use, ceramic braces are more expensive than metal braces.
- Staining: While the brackets themselves will never stain, the small rubber bands that hold the archwire in place, called ligatures, can discolor over time. This means if you're a big coffee drinker or enjoy other foods that stain teeth, ceramic braces may not be the best option for you.
- Not for Everyone: Ceramic braces can't sustain pressure the same way stainless steel brackets can, so we don't recommend them for severe cases requiring extensive orthodontic treatment.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Vienna, VA Family Orthodontist
All in all, ceramic braces present a convenient, aesthetically pleasing treatment option that's perfect for many patients. If you'd like to find out more about how ceramic braces can improve your smile or learn more about the other orthodontic treatments we have to offer, the team at Denise Nguyen Orthodontics would love to speak with you. Call us at (703) 847-6544 if you have any questions about our practice, our treatments, or your orthodontic health, and if you'd like to get started and schedule your consultation, just use our easy online form. We're excited to help you achieve the smile of your dreams!